So…this one didn’t quite work out as nicely as I would’ve hoped. The goal was to make a stronger chamomile ale, because I could only make one beer during the month of August. I thought it might be interesting to give that beer a bit of a surge, see if I could get it to work out.
Not so much. In addition to having an uncertain carbonation level, I didn’t really add enough chamomile in there. That is a surprising thing to realize, since over-addition of the tea has been an issue for many of the batches I made.
Instead, I have an ale that has a fruity sweet nose, as though it didn’t quite get enough sugar eaten out of it, and a sweet but thin mouth. It’s really kind of bland and that’s a very strange thing to say. It’s a bit of a bummer, of course, but the beer is still drinkable.
7 lb Pale wheat
1 lb Belgian biscut
7 lb LME
1 oz N Brewer @ 60
1 oz N Brewere @30
7/8th oz Chamomile tea @flameout
Wyeast German wheat (2nd use)
Put into secondary on 8.23. Bottled 9/5/14
I keep making this beer and it keeps challenging me but this time, I think I got it right.
The trick was to add the tea in at flameout, so that it’s far, far less likely for me to get the acrid flavors from that tea. Previously, I’d been adding the tea with less and less time in the boil, going down to five minutes and I was still getting some unwanted bitterness.
This beer has a nice note of vanilla and chamomile to it and tastes damn good. There’s a solid carbonation running through it which is definitely a positive.
Brew Date: 7.12.14
6 lb Wheat malt
1.5 lb pale
1 lb wheat
Fermentables: 4.5 lb LME
1.5 oz Willamette @60
.5 oz Willamette @10
Other: .5 oz Chamomile tea @ flameout
Yeast: Wyeast German Wheat
You can read about #2–the lighter beer in this photograph-here.
But #3, seems to have no nose to it at all. From a flavor perspective it doesn’t ring any serious bells-nothing seems off or weird. It’s a little less sweet, which I think is a good thing.
However, the mouthfeel is improved. There’s something just a little bit silkier about it, which is a nice effect. I dig on the result and I think it’s a definite plus for certain styles, especially darker ones.
Essentially, I think toasting the oats will become part of making this beer and is something I’m going to keep in mind for my future stouts. Here’s the recipe:
1 lb Toasted Oats (toasted for 15 min @ 150)
.5 lb Pils
.25 lb C60
7 lb LME
Hops and adjuncts:
1 oz Ahtanum @ 60
.5 oz Hallertauer @ 60
1/8 tsp Grains
3/4 tsp Bitter orange
1 tsp Orange peel
2.25 oz Chamomile all at 10 min
Yeast: Final use wit yeast, Wyeast 3944
Used 1/2 tsp yeast for bottling
These are two chamomile beers I made–wits, they are not. They should be; the elements are there, but I am about 99% certain I chose a standard ale yeast for these beers instead of a proper wit one. Live and learn.
Still; it’s clear just from the color that one is different from the other and this is because I used darker malts in one.
The darker ale also has less chamomile in it. At the very least, the impact of the chamomile is milder and the nose tilts towards a honey-clover scent.
The lighter beer has something close to an herbal sweet/slightly going banana scent, and the finish is all chamomile. It also has a stronger head on it and what seems to be more carbonation throughout the life of the beer.
But both seem to go well with the chicken curry dinner I’m having so no complaints.
Normally, I’d post a recipe but I’ve got one more chamomile ale that I just bottled, and I’d like to see how that turns out before posting a general recipe.