This amber ale is almost there.
It’s a solid enough beer but it tastes a little thin and that is because I added too much water to the wort after the brew.
See, I always have to add in some water because my brew kettle doesn’t hold five gallons of boiling liquid. It holds closer to four. So, I top the wort off and most of the time, that’s not a problem.
This time, however, I added in a bit too much water and that means that the malty qualities of this beer are muted, instead of prominent. An unfortunate mistake but one that is easy to fix and isn’t all that bad, honestly. Sure, the caramel notes of this amber aren’t as robust as I wish they were, but it’s not a bad beer by any means.
This is especially surprising as my notes remind me that this is a beer where I did have to add in a second yeast in order to get the batch fermenting. Mixing yeasts can have weird results but it looks like I got away with it this time!
Brew date: 220.127.116.11
2 lb pale wheat
3 lb Maris otter
1 lb 2 row
2 lb C120
Fermentables: 4 lb LME
1 oz Glacier, 1 oz Palisade @ 60
.5 oz Glacier, Palisade @30
Yeast: Wyeast American Ale 2
Had to add Windsor dry yeast after 24 hours
Secondary on 11.21