Since I had been using a yeast for wheat ales, I decided I would go one final round and make a final wheat-based beer. At the homebrew shop, I decided to add in a bunch of carawheat malt too, because why not? What’s the worst that could happen?
Well, since I have no idea what carawheat does, I suppose things could have gone very badly. A little research suggests that carawheat can be added as 10% of the malt bill…and I went with 25%.
This ale came out a little odd. It’s not bad, by any means; there’s a faint funkiness in the nose but that doesn’t translate to the flavors and the flavor itself is very, very mild. But it’s also a little forgettable, and while I want to spin this as a good thing (a clean finish is a plus) it feels like a negative. It’s possible I’m being too hard on myself, that this is a beer with a slight flaw but really is quite drinkable overall.
Brew Date: 8.11.13
2 lb 2 row
2 lb wheat
1 lb carawheat
3 lb LME
.75 oz US goldings @ 60
.75 oz US goldings @ 30
.5 oz US Goldings @10
3rd use wheat ale yeast (Wyeast 1010, last use)