There’s a few awesome things about this IPA. Please ignore the grinning writer in the background.
First, check out the carbonation there. There’s legs on this one-dual layers of foam that exist.
How awesome is that?
On top of this, that carbonation is the result of using inexpensive bread yeast. Extremely relevant because if my options are to pay $7 and get six months or more of bread, pizza dough and carbonated beer, versus paying $1 per pack of yeast for a batch of beer (and I typically make two batches a month) the savings adds up pretty quickly.
Second; because this beer is carbonated, the stylistic elements that are characteristic of the style show up a lot easier. Carbonation is an element but there is an interesting nose on the beer as well, something that’s been difficult to detect in previous brews I’ve made.
The nose on this batch has a clover element; it reminds me a bit of clover honey. I think this exists because of the hibiscus tea I added to the end of the boil. As a positive, it’s a very nice aroma. On the downside, some of the more citrus or pine notes I’d expect from a professional IPA aren’t really there.
Before I list the recipe, a big thank you to Laurelwood Brewpub, who gave me yeast for this batch.
Edit: Bill wanted some clarification on what I did-you can see the Q&A in the comments. Sorry for any confusion, I was just excited that things worked out so well!
1 lb honey malt
1 lb Special roast
7 lb LME
1 lb Dry malt extract light
Hops and other:
1 oz Newport @ 60
1 oz Cascade @ 30
.5 oz Newport @ 15
1 oz Hibicus tea @ 5
Laurelwood ale yeast!
Final Gravity: 1.033