So the fourth IPA of the year has been brewed and sometimes it looks just fine…but sometimes it looks like this:
I wish I knew why my beers were becoming so carbonated! Granted, it’s better than the last beer, which was flat. And there’s no way the nose can be missed, the spicy Amarillo hops coming right on up and saying hello. In addition, the head of the beer deflates very quickly so the brew is drinkable in a short time, just not right out of the bottle. If there’s any consolation it would be that the beer tastes pretty good, despite having a very, very bitter back end. I realized afterward that I shorted the malts in the wort by nearly two pounds. That’s the kind of thing that makes a difference.
I guess I’m getting to the point as a homebrewer where I want to get it right. Maybe not perfect, but right at least. I’m not sure what I’ll have to do to step things up though, at this point. My first thought is; submit my beers to be judged in some competitions. If nothing else, the OBC has monthly competitions and I think my project for 2010 will be to produce beers for them to get some feedback. In the meantime, here’s the recipe I used.
1 lb Caramel 120
.5 lb Munich
7 lb LME
5 oz Liberty hop pellets @60
1 oz Galena @ 30
1oz Amarillo @15
1/4 tsp Irish Moss @ 5
Wyeast 1728, reused from the Scottish Ale I made earlier.
Approximately 1 oz of Amarillo hops was also used in secondary as a dry hop
1.026 apparent final