As I rolled up to Steinbarts to gather materials for this beer, that was the song on the tape. I leave it to the reader to enjoy.
This beer has more malt than any other beer I’ve made; twelve pounds in the wort (9 pounds of Pilsner 3 pounds of Golden, all light malt extract), and two pounds Caramel 20 steeping grains. I had to add the malt over the course of the boil, because the water couldn’t dissolve it fast enough!
The boiling hops were Mt. Rainier, and I used one ounce at 60 minutes, and then another half ounce at 30. At 15 minutes left in the boil, I added one ounce of jasmine tea. We’ll see how that shakes things up. Finally, there was a half-teaspoon of Irish Moss, for clarity, added with five minutes left. The directions said to add to the boil at 10 minutes, but it was almost 11:30 and I needed to get to bed.
The trick came when I cooled the wort down and put it into the carboy. I hadn’t cooled it down enough to add the yeast, which had been out and active for nearly five hours by then. I decided to go to bed and hope the wort would cool to the mid 70s and that the yeast would still be viable by morning. Fortunately it was, and after adding two packets of Wyeast 1007 German Ale yeast and waiting for about twelve hours, the beer has taken off.
I’m thinking I might dry-hop this beer with some Zeus hops. At 13% alpha acid units, that should give it some bite. I’m thinking about doing this in part to offset the extreme maltiness of this beer. It’s also possible I should leave well enough alone, since I don’t really know what I’m doing, but that’s not why I brew. I brew to mess with things! We’ll see how it all turns out.