A few weeks ago, I made this beer. I didn’t follow the exact instructions…again. However, I did so out of a choice this time, instead of necessity! Hopefully that will make it all right.
I started with steeping .75 pounds of Six Row malt, which is a first for me. That seems a little unusual, considering Six Row is one of those base malts that’s good for all kinds of beers, but recipies never called for it before. When I took a whiff of the grains though, I thought: that makes a beer. It was rich and bready, like the head of a really tasty pale on a hot day.
The recipe called for about four differnet hop varieties, but with hops being as expensive as they are, I decided against variety and went for volume, with two ounces of Domestic and half an ounce of Willamette during the boil I’ll also be dry-hopping this beer with the low-alpha hops (Willamette), so I expect to get a more grassy nose, with a citriusy flavor. We shall see!
The other malts I added were:
1 pound red wheat
1 pound light extract
7 pounds liquid light malt
I wanted to make a starter yeast, but I hadn’t planned enough in advance. However, I’ll be using the yeast from this batch as I did with the saison, so hopefully I get two uses out of it. I used two packets of Wyeast’s 1056 for this beer, and it’s taken off quite nicely.
This is the beer, with a heat exchanger (left, foreground) and the carboy (right) just before I cool it and start to ferment it. Update next week on how it turned out!
Oh, and I completely forgot to get an Original Gravity reading. I swear I’ll get the hang of this someday.